NOT “HISTORICIST” PREMILLENNIALISM
1. The world will never be completely converted to Christianity, by any existing agency, before the end comes. In spite of all that can be done by ministers, members and churches, the wheat and the tares will grow together until the Harvest; and when the end comes, it will find the earth in much the same state that it was when the flood came in the days of Noah. Matthew 13:24,30 ; Matthew 24:37,39.
2. The widespread unbelief, indifference, formalism, and wickedness, which are to be seen throughout Christendom, are only what we are taught to expect in God's word. Troubled times, apostasy, evil men proliferating, love growing cold, are all things distinctly predicted. So far from making me doubt the truth of Christianity, they help to confirm my faith in God and His Messiah. Depressing and sorrowful as the sight is, if I did not see it I should think the Bible was not true. Matthew 24:12; 1 Timothy 3:1,4,13.
3. The grand purpose of the present age ("the last days") is to gather out of this world an elect people, and not to convert all mankind. It does not surprise me at all to hear that unbelievers are not all converted when missionaries preach, and that believers are but a minority in any congregation in my own land. It is precisely the state of affairs I expect to find. The Gospel is be preached "as a witness to all nations", and then the end shall come. This is the doctrine of election, and not of universal conversion.
4. The Second Coming (Parousia) of our Lord Jesus Christ is the great event which will wind up the present age ("the last days"), and for which we ought daily to long and pray for. "Your Kingdom come", "Come Lord Jesus", should be included in our daily prayers. We look backward, if we have faith, the Christ dying on the Cross, an we ought to look forward, with hope, to the coming of Christ again.
5. The Second Coming (Parousia) of our Lord Jesus Christ will be a real, literal, personal, bodily coming; that as He ascended into the clouds of heaven from the Mount of Olives with His body, before the eyes of men, so in like manner He will return to the Mount of Olives. Acts 1:11, Revelation 1:7, Zechariah 14:1-8.
6. The Second Coming of the our Lord Jesus Christ will usher in the "times of refreshing", renewal, the removal of the curse, the devil bound, the godly rewarded, the wicked punished. Before Christ comes there shall be neither resurrection, judgment, nor Millennium; and that not till He comes will the earth be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord. Acts 3:21; Isaiah 25:6,9; 1 Thessalonians 4:14,18; Revelation 20:1.
7. The "Jews" will be ultimately gathered again, as a separate nation, restored to their own land, and converted to the faith of Christ. Jeremiah 30:10,11; 31:10; Romans 11:25,26.
8. The Old Testament prophecies should be taken (as grammatically and historically possible), literally (as are the Messianic prophecies) and that this literalness is far too much neglected in our present churches. We have mistakenly substituted spiritualizing and allegorizing Biblical language and descriptions so Christians have completely missed the intended meanings of the Old Testament prophecies. Luke 24:25,26.
9. The Second Coming of Christ will be preceded by the advent of the Anti-Christ. He will be a person who will make himself out to be YHWH, demand worship from humanity, persecute the saints until he is defeated at the Second Coming of Christ. 2 Thessalonians 2:3,11; 1Timothy 4:1,6; Revelation 13:1,8.
10. The safety, happiness and comfort of all true Christians is to expect as little as possible from human institutions (like government) in these "last days". Christians are to hold themselves ready for tremendous changes to all things established and to expect all their good things to only come from Christ at His Second Coming.
Adapted from Pre-Millennial Essays, compiled from the Pre-Mill Prophetic Conference held at the Holy Trinity Church, Madison Avenue, City of New York 30 October-1 November 1878. Bryant Avenue Baptist Publications, 5601 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55419.
THE THEOCRATIC KINGDOM
The Theocratic Kingdom of Our Lord Jesus, the Christ, as Covenanted in the Old Testament and Presented in the New Testament by George NH Peters, 3 Volumes, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids,1884, reprints available. ISBN 0-8254-3502-1
Here is an excerpt of George NH Peter's Propositions concerning The Theocratic Kingdom. Peter's quotes over 5000 sources, so his research is exhaustive. Each proposition is built on the previous one. The remaining Propositions can be found on the external link below, along with the 3 volume work, all in PDF/RTF format.
SOME CLASSIC PREMILLENNIAL LITERATURE
The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Papias, Justin Martyr, etc.)
The Theocratic Kingdom of Our Lord Jesus, the Christ, as Covenanted in the Old Testament and Presented in the New Testament by George N.H. Peters, ISBN 0-8254-3502-1
The Thousand Year Reign of Christ by Nathaniel West, ISBN 0-8254-4000-9
Pre-Millennial Essays, compiled from the Pre-Mill Prophetic Conference held at the Holy Trinity Church, Madison Avenue, City of New York 30 October-1 November 1878. Bryant Avenue Baptist Publications, 5601 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55419.
The Approaching Advent of Christ by Alexander Reese, ISBN 0-8254-3610-9
The Meaning of the Millennium by Robert Clouse, ISBN 0-87784-794-0
Contemporary Options in Eschatology by Millard Erickson, ISBN 0-8010-3442-6
The Late Great Pre-Trib Rapture by Dave MacPherson, Heart of America Bible Society, Kansas City, MO (Pamphlet)
A Case for Historic Premillennialism (Compilation), edited by Craig L. Blomberg and Sung Wook Chung, Baker Academic, ISBN 978-0-8010-3596-8.